when i awoke this morning to pouring rain and what is in store to be an "indoor" day, i immediately thought of these cupcakes. when baking them the whole house smells of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. enjoy.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
1/2 cup milk
1 stick of butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 ounces (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, still firm but not cold
8 ounces cold cream cheese
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 pound (3/4 box) plus 2 teaspoons powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 ounces white chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners.
2. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, spices and salt. In another bowl, combine molasses and milk.
3. With an electric mixer, cream the butter on medium to medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually add the sugar. and beat until light and fluffy in texture. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
5. Reduce the mixer speed to low, and incorporate the flour mixture alternately with the molasses mixture, beating thoroughly after each addition and ending with dry ingredients.
6. Divide batter among the cupcake liners and bake for about 20 minutes, or until top of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Cool thoroughly before frosting.
7. Prepare the frosting. Using an electric mixer, mix together butter, cream cheese and salt on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and gradually add powdered sugar until incorporated. Gradually add vanilla and melted white chocolate until just blended. Do not overwhip the frosting; the consistency should be creamy and dense, like ice cream.
Results: 1 dozen delicious cupcakes.