Tuesday, January 21, 2014

{our home} laundry in style.

It may seem silly, but one of the first areas of our home that I wanted to tackle was the laundry room. The space is small, but I still appreciate having a dedicated laundry space especially since our condo had shared laundry in the basement, having our own washer and dryer priceless.

Overall, I wanted the room to have more storage, function better and not be an eye sore if the door was left open.

Here is what the space looked like shortly after moving in.


It is hard to see but the builder did put up a wire shelf, which I loathed.

After doing some measuring I realized an ikea desktop would fit perfectly on top of the washer and dryer to prevent cloths from falling behind the machines and add a great area for folding.

So off to ikea I went, it fit like it was cut for the space!  What are the chance?!

Something important to note, the top of slides forward quickly and easily if we ever needed to access the water shut off in case of an emergency.


Just by adding the top, I felt like the room visually looked so much better and functioned better, but wasn't there yet.

However, storage was still an issue that needed to be addressed. I knew I wanted a cabinet, hanging bar to dry clothes and a shelf above the cabinet to add baskets. The cabinet would not only hold laundry supplies but also cleaning supplies for the third floor.

We purchased an unfinished cabinet, molding, hanging bar and brackets from lowes. We went with an unfinished cabinet because it was 1/3 of the price of the white trifoil cabinets lowes sells and a solid wood cabinet would give us a more consistent finish once everything was painted.


The downside of an unfinished cabinet is a lot of priming, painting and sanding. But it was worth the effort.

Once the marathon of painted was complete hardware was added and some functional accessories to keep things organized and tidy.



The bare wall needs some art work, I am thinking something laundry room appropriate like this.

{source: lettered & lined}



At this point the space is 90% complete. It needs art, paint on the walls and a new light fixture.

Of course, Matt reminded me I should have painted before we hung the cabinets to make life easier, oh well, you live and learn. BM Revere Pewter would add some nice contrast to the cabinet and counter.

For the light fixture, I have settled on this beauty. I am smitten.

{source: shades of light}
I hope to get the room painted, light purchased and installed in the new month or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment