Thursday, December 1, 2011

{recipe} bourbon chocolate pecan pie.

sorry for the no post yesterday,  i actually wrote a post that was scheduled to post yesterday morning and it vanished. while i continue to follow up with blogger, here is what was supposed to post yesterday morning.  have a nice thursday!

i thought i would start off my thanksgiving recipe sharing with my favorite pie of thanksgiving, and the one that actually didn't even make it to thanksgiving, since we cut into it on wednesday evening. i have to admit i have never actually had pecan pie before (i don't know if it just didn't interest me or wasn't on the pie list at my thanksgivings, because i don't remember ever seeing one), but let me tell you this recipe has now set the bar high for the pecan pies in my future, because it was awesome.

i got off to a very rough start on wednesday morning, when i think the anxiety of all the cooking ahead of me went to my head and i ended up forgetting to add pie weights (or dried kidney beans which is my go to) when prebaking my crust and it ended in disastrous results, in the trash that went. once i finally got my game face on i knocked out four pies and kept on going to appetizers, stuffing, cranberry sauce and fresh rolls. it was actually really rewarding/exhausting to look around the kitchen on wednesday afternoon and see everything complete. everything came out fantastic, but this bourbon chocolate pecan pie was my favorite! enjoy!

*sidenote: i thought about using a fancier photo, but this one says it all.
Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie.

Serves: 10-12 depending on slices.


Ingredients
2 (9 inch) baked pie shell (or homemade, i used this recipe)
2 cups halved pecans
3 large eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons good bourbon
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F

2. Roughly chop 1 cup of halved pecan. Cover bottom of pie crust with chopped pecans. 
 
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and melted butter. Add the corn syrup, sugar, bourbon and the chopped chocolate. Add in last cup of halved pecans. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Pour mixture into the pie shell over the pecans and place on a heavy-duty cookie sheet. 
 
4.Bake for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for an additional 25 minutes or until pie is set. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.

Serve with ice cream! 

*adapted from Paula Deen, Food Network.

i plan on making this pie again with christmas when we go to alabama. not for my family to try but for me to have more of.

No comments:

Post a Comment