Wednesday, January 8, 2014

{recipe} knock off panera broccoli cheddar soup.

Winter is the perfect time to make soups, especially when the temperature outside is in the single digits. Normally, I stick with the basics but this winter I have been branching out and trying to recreate some of my restaurant favorites at home. I know I am not the only one out their obsessed with Panera's broccoli cheddar soup, seriously I sop up every last drop with my baguette!

After some searching and tweaking I settled on this broccoli cheddar soup recipe, I promise it will fulfill your Panera obsession! Enjoy!


Broccoli Cheddar Soup
 
Serves: 4-8

Ingredients
2 tbsp of butter (softened)
1/2 cup melted butter (melted)
1 medium onion
1/2 cup of flour
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
5 cups of broth or stock
2 pound of chopped broccoli
1 1/2 cup carrots, julienned
salt and pepper, to taste
16 oz sharp cheddar cheese
Directions
1.  Sauté onion in 2 tbsp of butter. Set aside.

2. Now start to cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-6 minutes until the mixture is a golden brown

3. Slowly add the half and half, whisking constantly to combine with the flour and butter mixture.Once combined add the broth and continue to whisk. Simmer for 20 minutes.
 
4. Add the broccoli, carrots and onions and continue to cook over low heat until all the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes.
 
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.  The soup should be thick, if you prefer it thicker let simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.     
 
6.  Stir in the grated cheese into fully melted and incorporated. 
 
*Optional: If you prefer your smooth smooth, before adding the cheese pour soup in a blender and blend until reaches the desired texture.





No comments:

Post a Comment